Bone is a living, growing tissue and mostly made up of collagen (a protein that provides a soft framework) and calcium phosphate (a mineral that adds strength and hardens the framework)
This combination of collagen and calcium makes bone both flexible and strong, which in turn helps bone to withstand stress. More than 99 percent of the body calcium is contained in the bones and teeth. The remaining 1 percent is found in the blood.
Bones play many important roles in the body like providing structure, protecting organs, anchoring muscles and storing calcium.
Throughout one’s lifetime, old bone is removed (resorption) and new bone is added to the skeleton (formation). During childhood and teenage years, new bone is added faster than old bone is removed. As a result, bones become larger, heavier, and denser. Bone formation outpaces resorption until peak bone mass (maximum bone density and strength) is reached around age 30. After that time, bone resorption slowly begins to exceed bone formation.
Osteoporosis or “porous bones” or “holey bones” is a disease characterized by low bone mass and structural deterioration of bone tissue, leading to bone fragility and an increased risk of fractures of the hip, spine, and wrist.
There are around 40 million osteoporosis patients in India.
Different types of bone problems are as follows: